Post Page Advertisement [Top]

A Mock Columnist, Amok

In today's issue of the New York Times, columnist Maureen Dowd let comedian Stephen Colbert write her column. The piece is entitled "A Mock Columnist, Amok." In her introduction to it, Dowd explained that she challenged Colbert to write it since he seemed to think "it was so easy to be a Times Op-Ed pundit." Here are a few highlights from Colbert's piece:
Surprised to see my byline here, aren't you? I would be too, if I read The New York Times. But I don't. So I'll just have to take your word that this was published. Frankly, I prefer emoticons to the written word, and if you disagree :(

... Bad things are happening in countries you shouldn't have to think about. It's all George Bush's fault, the vice president is Satan, and God is gay.

There. Now I've written Frank Rich's column too.

... Others point to my new bestseller, "I Am America (And So Can You!)" noting that many candidates test the waters with a book first. Just look at Barack Obama, John Edwards or O. J. Simpson.

... Our nation is at a Fork in the Road. Some say we should go Left; some say go Right. I say, "Doesn't this thing have a reverse gear?" Let's back this country up to a time before there were forks in the road - or even roads. Or forks, for that matter. I want to return to a simpler America where we ate our meat off the end of a sharpened stick.

... Nevertheless, I am not ready to announce yet - even though it's clear that the voters are desperate for a white, male, middle-aged, Jesus-trumpeting alternative.
He makes some funny remarks about the 2008 election, but in the middle of it there is a really good point. We have too much polarization between Left and Right. In such an environment, perhaps humor is the best way to get people to think.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bottom Ad [Post Page]