Post Page Advertisement [Top]

Celebrity Preachers?

Lee Grady of Charisma Magazine offered an extremely shocking and ridiculous account of a problem in Christianity. He argues, "A new strain of the celebrity virus is spreading in large segments of the church." He offers the following case as an example:

One friend of mine in Texas recently inquired to see if a prominent preacher could speak at her conference. The minister’s assistant faxed back a list of requirements that had to be met in order to book a speaking engagement. The demands included:

a five-figure honorarium
a $10,000 gasoline deposit for the private plane
a manicurist and hairstylist for the speaker
a suite in a five-star hotel
a luxury car from the airport to the hotel (2004 model or newer)
room-temperature Perrier

This really makes me wonder how the apostle Paul, Timothy or Priscilla managed ministering to so many people in Ephesus, Corinth and Thessalonica. How did they survive without a manicurist if they broke a nail while laying hands on the sick?

This is ridiculous! How is it that this preacher has so lost sight of the Gospel? It seems like this person needs to read the Bible, especially the teachings of Jesus. It is also sad that people put up with this junk from preachers. Grady makes some good points in his piece in response to this case and others. He points out that there is something terribly and tragically wrong going on in parts of American Christianity.

7 comments:

  1. Good points and thoughts.

    But this has been going on since at least the 1980s with Jim and Tammy Faye, Falwell and many, many others.

    I just found out that Hagee lives in a 5,000 square foot house and makes well over a million a year.

    What is the point of all that stuff since he is about to be Raptured anyway? (Please note the sarcasm...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:03 PM

    Even more ridiculous is that churches and conferences will actually PAY these absurd demands. When I think of all the times I've done revivals in small churches and only asked that they cover my expenses! (One church was so poor that, after they took up a love offering for me, I emptied it into the regular church offering--figuring they needed it more than I did.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just wrote about this for tomorrow. I guess I will delete it now after your post.

    It does make me sick though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments!

    Matthew61: Unfortunately you are correct that this is not a new problem. Nice point on Hagee and the Rapture!

    Michael: I am with you in that I cannot figure out why anyone would give into these demands.

    Kevin: Don't stop on account of me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3:02 PM

    All I have to say is that at those prices that speaker better be able to play some serious electric guitar and have a kickin' pyrotechnics show as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous1:58 AM

    I want to see them heal the sick and raise the dead. How much did Jesus Christ charge?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is common place in the Word of Faith Movement culture

    ReplyDelete

Bottom Ad [Post Page]