Post Page Advertisement [Top]

'Gay'-ophobe

The American Family Association's editing of a news story recently resulted in a pretty big error. Apparently, the AFA does not approve of the word "gay" being used to describe homosexuals. So, whenever they run an Associated Press story, the AFA has a computer automatically change the word "gay" to "homosexual." A big problem occurred when they ran a story about U.S. Olympic athlete Tyson Gay, who instead was called "Tyson Homosexual." One sentence in the original AP story was:
"It means a lot to me," the 25-year-old Gay said. "I'm glad my body could do it, because now I know I have it in me."
The same sentence in the AFA story was:
"It means a lot to me," the 25-year-old Homosexual said. "I'm glad my body could do it, because now I know I have it in me."
I guess this is a funny reminder that things can go pretty wrong when you try to edit the news to conform to your ideology.

2 comments:

  1. Brian,

    My wife and I got a big laugh from this one.

    Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. CD: Glad you enjoyed it. I was telling it to people and everyone laughed so I felt I had to share it with more people.

    ReplyDelete

Bottom Ad [Post Page]