Post Page Advertisement [Top]

Debate

Last night I participated in a debate with a street preacher about whether or not his style of evangelism (which he calls "confrontational evangelism") is effective or appropriate. I argued that his style was not only ineffective as it drives people away from God, but also inappropriate as it is not loving. The debate was sparked because I critiqued this and other street preachers in my book, For God's Sake, Shut Up!. There were about 200 people there, most of whom were college students. I thought it went very well and am glad that I agreed to it. Not only was I able to provide a more positive presentation of Christianity for the students, but I also was able to encourage many of the Christian students who do not like the street preacher approach. A local newspaper had an article about it today and other reports of it will likely come out in other outlets. Hopefully, these accounts will provide a loving version of Christianity to those who have only known the street preacher method and will encourage Christians to seriously think about the impact of our words.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:25 AM

    Great article. Wish I could have seen the debate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian,

    Thanks for sharing about the debate and pointing me to the article. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great article, Brian. Thanks for defending a more culturally-relevant form of evangelism!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You miss it Brian when you do not realize that open rebuke is love. Sure, most people hate rebuke and the idea that God will judge them, but that is why they crucified Jesus. If you think we can get through this life living like Jesus without being rejected and crucified, you are mistaken.

    ReplyDelete

Bottom Ad [Post Page]